Living in Northern Michigan
Michigan, the Great Lakes State! With over 3,000 miles of coastline, second only to Alaska, 19.3 million acres of forest area, and four beautiful seasons, Michigan is a rapidly growing tourist destination. And our corner of northern Michigan, or the "Tip of the Mitt" as some fondly call the area, is a place that millions have been calling their favorite vacation spot for over a century. The natural beauty of nearby Lake Michigan, rivers, inland lakes, forest areas, and rolling sand dunes offer a paradise for recreation. Plus, quaint downtown areas like Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Charlevoix, and more, offer culture in delicious food, local breweries and distilleries, art galleries, museums, local music and more. What reason is there to not call it home?
Why we love it here
- Watersports galore! With Lake Michigan, six local inland lakes, and four rivers, boating, fishing, swimming, paddleboarding, and more are at your fingertips.
- Three State Parks and over 25 Nature Preserves offer hiking, biking, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and birding opportunities wherever you turn
- Two Ski Resorts in the BOYNE family, plus other ski opportunities.
- Michigan has been named America's Summer Golf Capital, we have 10 Golf Courses in the BOYNE family alone
- Four local downtown areas with unique shops, restaurants, museums, theatres, breweries, distilleries, and more.
- The Petoskey Wine Region , a collection of 13 local wineries utilize the fresh Lake Michigan breezes and close proximity to the 45th parallel to grow award-winning wines.
- History happened here: Ernest Hemingway spent his summers here, and the area is rich in natural, railroad, and Native American history. Petoskey is on the National Register of Historic Places
Team Members on Living Here
"Summers in Northern Michigan are the best. If you're a golfer, you have unlimited golf. I spend the majority of my time on beaches or boats... our guests are just blown away by this area."
"The best part of living in northern Michigan is all the activities. I can do skiing, golfing, hiking, swimming, fishing... there's just so much to do!"
"I moved here 12 years ago. The area, it's just beautiful up here. And now that I have a kid I'm looking at schools and everything's just great. Safe, and scenic!"
"I like watching the seasons. The hotel looks so different in every one, and there's a bunch of different kinds of people that come in with each season... And I grew up here, but the people that live here, we're really just kind of just relaxed and laid back."
Through the Seasons